Translate this site:


What can Women's Aid East and Midlothian do for my children?

Domestic abuse has a great impact on children. It is distressing for them to see or hear you being shouted at or hurt. Our highly trained ‘children and young peoples’ team can help work through some of the fears and experiences your children have been through. Our team understand domestic abuse and are here to help – not to judge.

How can I get some help?

You can call the Dalkeith number 0131 663 9827. Or email us. This is self referral. You can ask your social worker, school or health visitor to make a referral. Download a referral form

How do you do it?

We get to know your child/ren really well. We ask you lots of questions about what you think could be useful. We will ask you to help us assess your child press here to download the assessment tool. After this bit we know what areas are important to work on. When we work with children and young people we use lots of different activities, these can be anything from exercises that help children talk about how they feel and share some of their fears through to fun activities that help build confidence. We will let you know what we are doing and how things are going, and are happy to answer any questions you have.

Will you open up a can of worms?

The workers are sensitive to how you and your children feel. We won’t make them do anything they don’t want to. We take our lead from what you and your child tell us. Sometimes past memories can be upsetting, so we don’t go digging round for the sake of it. Read frequently asked questions

View the Flash version of this page


illustration of family